Red Pork Pozole
3kg pork (*Ask your butcher for a mix of pork spine, shoulder, leg, butt (plus any extra pork bones that you have) cut into large chunks.
2 Bay leaves
1 Large onion quartered
4 Cloves of garlic peeled
8 Quarts of water – More if needed.
2 Table spoons of salt
3 garlic cloves peeled
1/2 tsp salt
Cabbage sliced very thinly
- Wash meat and put into a large stock pot cover with water. Add 2 tablespoons of salt, bay leaves, garlic , onion. Put on high heat let boil. Once boiled reduce to med – low cook for further 1 hr and :30 min.
- As the stock is cooking every once in a while check on it and remove the excess foam and bits that form at the top. If water reduces allot add hot boiling water as needed to keep the meat completely covered. Never add cold water as it will slow the cooking process.
- Wash all chillies
- Remove stems, seeds, from chilli Guajillo, chile ancho. Remove stems from chile de arbol but leave seeds inside. Put chillies in a small pot then cover with water, bring to a boil and let sit off the heat for 15 min . Once chillies are soft blend chilles with onion and garlic , and Mexican oregano with 1-2 cups of the pork stock and a pinch of salt. Puree until smooth.
- Pour chilli mix mixture onto sieve over the pork stock pot. Use pork stock to pour over the mixture to help the chili mix pass. Discard all the seeds and bits of skin reaming in the sieve.
- Check your pork stock to see if the meat is nice and tender, and if more salt is needed add salt to taste. I add a total of 1.5 Tablespoons.
- Drain and rinse white hominy . Add hominy to stock.
Return the stock to high heat and continue to cook until the broth has come to a boil. Once it boils for about 15 min reduce heat and simmer for about 15 -20- min
Serve pozole with shredded cabbage, sliced rashes , diced onion, limes.